Monday, March 19, 2012

Weekend Shopping Highs and Lows

As I've been trying very hard to lose weight and be more eco-friendly, I'm attempting to shop at stores that I can walk to more frequently.  Generally I'm not a huge fan of Sunmart or Russ's Markets because on the whole, they are overpriced.  They usually have 1 or 2 good sales each week; but they also have clearance going for them.  The "aisle of shame" as well as discounted "ready to eat" meats.  It's worth a shot. 

I did well at Russ's getting butter for $1.68, a half gallon of milk on clearance for $0.99 and Barilla Wheat Pasta on clearance for $1.25 and used a $1 coupon - $0.25 wheat pasta!  Get outta here!  I was generally pleased with my experience until I looked at my receipt and realized that the creep at the cash register rang up 3 butters instead of 2.  I could have gone back, but by then it just wasn't worth it.

On to Sunmart.  They had strawberries for $2/lb, but of course in Sunmart's typical fashion, they all looked like shit.  I thought about opening the containers and making my own pound of edible strawberries, but I'm sure that's generally frowned upon, so I picked the best of the worst and moved on.  My biggest draw was the Dannon 10/$5 - this is my favorite kind of yogurt, plus I had a $0.40/6 coupon.  I just wanted to scream when I got back to the dairy section and saw they only had 2 types of Dannon, strawberry and blueberry.  NO, NO, NO.

So sometimes you don't get what you're looking for, but sometimes you find something you just can't walk away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment