Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Anti Frugal

I'll admit, I've been the very opposite of frugal lately, but it's all because I've scrimped, saved and stashed away that we were able to do it.
So here's what we've been up to these last few weeks:
I've made a few trips out shopping, nothing to really write about.
One trip to Walgreens that garnered 4 boxes of cereal, 4 boxes of granola thins, 2 tubes of toothpaste, 3 bottles of face wash and I don't remember what else...Spent $32, but got back $15 in Register Rewards. I was actually kind of embarassed about this trip at the time, but in retrospect, that brings the total for the breakfast items alone to $2.12 each, not including the other items I purchased.
Also, a trip to Russ's for some free Livesaver mints and 10/$4 Dannon yogurt(my personal favorite!). Also, I picked up 2 4-packs of Slimfast with a Buy One Get One Free coupon.   We'll see how that goes.

Josh has had most of last week and all of this week off, so we are cramming all of the home improvements into these 2 weeks that have basically waited all year to be done.  We are redoing Elliott's room, so in this time off he has repaired and painted the walls, removed and purchased carpet (it will be installed today!), bought a bunk bed and some new wall decor.  I'll post some pictures when it's all finished, trust me, its intense.  He also repainted our stairwell and we are getting carpet there as well.  So there's all the expense of painting, it adds up fast, with the paint and supplies.  Then the bed, mattress, new sheets, decorations, dresser etc...  So all I can say is it's a damn good thing we socked so much into savings, because by the time this week is over we will have used it all. 

It may not seem prudent to spend all of your savings, and truly its not.  But now that we are past the holidays and past the house reno work we will have so much more per paycheck to put away.  Plus we have tax returns coming up (are all of our collective fingers crossed?!?).

So sorry if I've dropped off the map, but trust me, it's all been worth it.  I've been going thru my Sunday paper and getting ready for this weeks shopping, so fear not dear readers, you'll be getting all the deals reported to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment