Monday, December 12, 2011

Final Decision: Santa

After much debate, we've reneged on our idea to get Elliott an old fashioned Nintendo for Christmas.
One of the big reasons for wanting a gaming system was to do something together as a family. As an aside, both Josh and I have some serious weight to lose. Additionally Elliott has more energy than the hadron collider.
The decision was made.  We're getting a Wii.  We all get the opprotunity to be up and active.  Its fun and reliable.
So how did a frugalista such as myself approach getting this high dollar item?  Research baby.  I went thru all the Sunday papers and tallied the cost of all similar Wii items.  Gasp, Toys R Us was the winner!  $124.99 for a bundle including Super Mario Bros, remote, nunchuk and console. 
Then I logged on to Ebates.  I'm sure glad I waited until Monday because they bumped up their cash back bonus to 10% today!!!  In total we spent:
$124.99 for the Wii
$39.99 for an additional remote
**Tax $11.68**
Free Shipping to Store
Total: $177.35
Cash Back Earned: $16!

Then I logged onto Amazon.com and utilized the last $10 credit I had on my account from purchasing $5 Amazon Gift Cards with my Swagbucks.com points.  I bought a Toy Story game for a grand total of $11 including shipping. 

Needless to say, Santa is being awfully kind this year.  I'm still worried we're setting the bar high for years to come, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is for the whole family.  It will last long into the future and provide hours of entertainment and exercise to all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment