Friday, October 21, 2011

How Time Flies - And How It's Spent

I cann't believe how long it has been since I've sat down at the computer to really write.  Over the last few weeks we've had some changes at work and I put in extra days and hours, which really changes the home dynamic for me.  And I'll be honest, I'm a real creature of habit, so an upheaval in my schedule is rough on this mama. 
Also, we took a weekend trip to visit my husband's wonderful family in Kansas, so I feel draw from every direction!
And as if all of that and the upcoming holiday season isn't enough, we've decided to undertake some major home redecorations.  Not renovations...now is certainly not the time!  Since Zoe was born our home has been in a constant shuffle...trying to figure out who gets what space of the house and toys and garage sale crap spilling out from ever nook and cranny.

ENOUGH!!!

So here are the steps we've taken so far to improve our space... Remember my post about my husband buying a new TV?  Well it's finally been extrocized from it's ugly home in the corner.  We bit the bullet and paid $50 to have our cable outlet redrilled and relocated.  Then we moved our record collection from being hidden in the office to being front and center in the living room.  Rather than purchase a new entertainment center we've repurposed something we really love. 

So we are in the process of fixing up this room for Zoe...In the time we've owned the house it was first our room, then Zoe's room then an office/crap room.  Now it's high time this lovely lady has a place of her own.  We already have tons of darling accessories and a beautiful bed; so now it's time for the real work to begin.  Over the next few weeks Josh and I are throwing ourselves into this project.  Sanding and repainting the baseboards and trim a crisp white.  Removing the ripped up wallpaper and painting it a lovely shade of green.  Replacing our hideous 80s ceiling fan and trying to make a useful closet space out of a long narrow mess. 

Needless to say it's going to be rough.  And there will be $$$ spent.  So now more than ever it's important for me to dedicate myself to appropriately spending our funds.  No spluring on deals or clothes.  No more stockpiled gifts for Elliott, he's reached his max. 

I did get a brand spankin' new ceiling fan on Craigslist for $12 that should be perfect, and now I'm currently on the hunt for a tall dresser and/or bookcase that I can paint for Zoe's room.  Nothing fancy, just functional. 

So hopefully I'll be able to scrounge up some old pics of the house to compare with the updated, and then finished product. 

Also, I'll be endlessly clipping my way through the inch thick stack of coupons I've let accumulate over the last 3 weeks (naughty naughty), all on top of trying to work from home during the day while Elliott's at school.  Oy Vey! 

It's going to be a true exercise in penny pinching and productivity, but I think that the end result is something we want so badly that all the blood, sweat and tears are worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment