Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Music That Feels Like Home

So recently I was feeling a little uninspired in the blogging department.  For me, saving money is exciting.  Getting to put that saved cash toward something we really want rather than just scraping by is even more exciting.  However this isn't what my life is all about, and certainly not all I have to share with my friends, family and whomever my stumble onto my little blog.

I asked my friends on facebook for a little push in the right direction, and luckily, my good friend Charlie recommended I write about a new album.  This got me thinking right away; and brace yourselves, I've got a lot to say.

Starting with the fact that I haven't purchased an album for myself in 5 years.  And that's not because my funds are tied up elsewhere or that I'm putting my kids needs before my own.  Honestly, its because while I do very much LOVE music, and even some new music, my heart doesn't lie with a disc or shuffling thru an I-Pod...I love vinyl.  Period.

Call me sentimental, call me old fashioned or behind the times.  First of all, classic rock is the music I would prefer to listen to any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  It's what I grew up on and moreover, what I actually consider to be the only music really worth listening to.  There is so much soul, priceless lyrics and musical talent you just can find in an age of "auto-tune" performers and lip-synchers.

So you may be thinking, why hog up all that space storing hundreds of records...I'll tell you why: LOVE.
I LOVE the album art.  You can't get that on and I-Pod.  Turning the wheel on the cover of Led Zeppelin III, knowing that if you put water on the Presence inner sleeve it will permanently change the picture.  How can you simulate that with a computer app? 
Led Zeppelin III




















But most of all I LOVE the sound.  There is nothing that feels like home, transports me back to my youth or reminds me of my mom than the familiar hiss of a needle drop.  It's like a time machine that brings you back to the finest days of your life. 
And as old school as it sounds; I think this is how the music sounds the best.  You can listen to the same album on vinyl and then "remastered" MP3, and it's just not the same, and not in a good way.  When those artists recorded the songs, they knew they would be pressed on vinyl.  The sound was engineered to be heard via that medium.  There was no "digital enhancement" or "high definition", just music. 

When I get a hankering for someting new to listen to, I can walk to my local Goodwill and pick a record up for a buck.  And if I'm being really specific, I can go to the local record shops (yes, they still exist!) and get exactly what I'm looking for.  No downloading, no going to the dreaded Best Buy. 

So the next time you get a wild hair about your tunes, head down to your record store, steep yourself in nostalgia and lay down some vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment