Friday, July 15, 2011

TGFF: Thank Goodness For Frugality

So yesterday all hell broke loose.  First, my car broke down...twice.  The first time I was @ Hy Vee and it wouldn't start when we were ready to leave.  My AAA membership totally paid off and got me on the road in 20 minutes with a battery jump.

Then we came home & my father in law took a look at my non functioning washing machine.  We were under the impression it just needed a new belt.  WRONG.  He's been an appliance tech for ages and said it's not fixable.  FML (Pardon my French).
Okay, so it wasn't this bad...

So I decide I'm going to load the kids up and check out scratch & dent appliances & Lowes & Home Depot and guess what?  Car won't start AGAIN!!!  So I call AAA and they came and replaced my battery. 
This, my friends, is why I'm frugal and I budget.  Back in my "footloose & fancy free" days, I wouldn't have had the $128 to spend on the battery, but I do. 

Also, my camera is broken.  My baby is about to take her first steps, so whats a mom to do?  I found a great deal on line and I'm headed to pick it up tonight.  $50 (half off at Shopko). 

Now we do have enough socked away that I could by and OK washer today, but I want to find a great washer for an even greater deal...it's in my nature, what can I say?  So the frugal side of me cringes at spending $1.75 a load to wash our clothes at the laundromat.  But I know, in the end, it will all work and a week or two being inconvienced will far ourweigh buying a washer that I don't like just to have it.

The moral of the story?  Save when you can,  you never know when  you'll need it.  And don't rush into a big purchase.  I'll be stuck with my new washer a lot longer than the 2 weeks it may take me to find a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment